Teachers Pay Teachers Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

First half of the year

I can not believe that I have completed the first half of the school year already.  I remember the first day of school like it was yesterday.  I still can picture my shy kids timid in the new school, struggling to write their name, unsure of what was going on, and exhausted after the long day of school.  I can't believe that those same little kids are now my outgoing, sometimes wild, eager to learn and read, writing multiple sentences, and counting to 100 kids. 

So. much. has. changed. - but mostly for the better.

  • My kids have come so far and I am so proud
  • I have revamped my use of the Daily 5 in my classroom, and it now runs much smoother
  • Guided Reading is now really taking off
  • My kids do not need to be reminded of rules and procedures daily
  • I have rearranged my room numerous times and finally found what seems to work best, for now at least.
  • I am more familiar with how my school functions and how administration works
  • Bonds have been built among our team, which makes things go much smoother
  • My kids are coming out of their little shells (which is good - for the most part!)
  •  I have grown so much already as a teacher 
I think the biggest change (besides all the great changes that I am seeing in my kids), is the change I am seeing in myself.  When I started teaching at the beginning of the school year, I was brand new at this.  I probably looked like a first year teacher, sounded like a first year teacher, smelled like a first year teacher, and you get the point.  Now, I am so much more confident in myself and my ability to be a teacher.  Yes - there are those parents who realize I am young and may chose to challenge that, but I know what I am doing and I know that I am doing what is best for these children.  I am not perfect in any way, but I take the time to grow and self-reflect and that is going to allow me to become a better teacher each day. 

Looking forward to the second half of the year with my kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment