Teachers Pay Teachers Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Daily 3 Math in Kindergarten

Math can be tricky in a kindergarten classroom.  I don't know if your county is anything like mine, but we are given lessons to teach the kids and most of the time they are lessons where the kids are sitting on the carpet for the whole entire math block.  Anyone who works with kids knows that sitting for that long does not fly in a kinder room.  So here is what I found what works best for me, and that is:


I love Daily 5 for ELA so I was not at all surprised when I fell in love with Daily 3 for Math.  Daily 3 Math consists of 3 sections: Math by Myself, Math Writing, and Math with a Partner.  I even add Math with a Teacher and pull small groups when I can!

Just like Daily 5, there are many ways you can execute Daily 3 during your math block.  Here is what my typical math block looks like:

-Calendar and Counting:  We spend 5 minutes doing the calendar, counting the days of school, and doing a "brain break" to count to 100!
-Mini Lesson:  I spend the next 10 - 15 minutes teaching the main mini-lesson for the day.  The county I work in provides us with lessons, so I take what they give us and shrink it down to an engaging and focused mini-lesson.  The kids may have a quick worksheet or activity that they will complete for 5 - 10 minutes after.
-Daily 3 Math:  Kids pick what stations they want to go to and they learn through practice at the Daily 3 Stations.

So how does Daily 3 Math work?
In my room, it has become a routine!  I started Daily 3 Math with my very first unit - numbers 0 - 10.  I slowly introduced the students to the Daily 3 Math Stations for Numbers 0 - 10.  The kids were quick to learn these stations and they were slowly given the choice to pick where they go.  I walk around the room and question students, work with students, and conduct quick assessments with students.  I may even pull a group during this time if my assistant is in the room and able to monitor the class.  I was amazed at how independent they were!

The next unit I teach is Teen Numbers.  The great thing about the Daily 3 Math Stations that I use is that they are very similar in layout!  The directions don't change too much, the format is similar, and students are quick to learn the stations when a new unit is introduced.  The big change from unit to unit is the content.  This allows them to quickly dive in to the 20+ stations that I allow them to pick from for each unit!

I then go on to teach Shapes!  This is followed by Addition and Subtraction within 5!  And finally, Addition and Subtraction within 10!


If you are ready to jump right in, check out my Daily 3 Math MEGA BUNDLE!  This includes over 100 math stations that can be used during Daily 3 Math!  

Below you will find an example of how the stations are similar from unit to unit.  This is just one of the stations from Math by Myself - I have included one page from each of my 5 units.  The format is the same, yet the content changes, making it easy for kids to know what to do and allows them to quickly adjust to new stations as the units change!  This station is the ID station.  Students look at the target in the middle and color in anything that represents that number (or shape) on the outside.

And finally, some photos of the kiddos working independently at these stations!  They LOVE them!  This is from our most recent unit, Daily 3 Math Stations: Shapes






Enjoy & have a grrreat day!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great. I have 3 of your Math Centres. Haven't implemented them into the class routine but we start back at school in two weeks and will use the Daily 3 then. Thanks for the post on how you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You'll have to let me know how it goes! If you have any questions along the way feel free to reach out!

    ReplyDelete